MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: A-5 bolt mod.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 pm 
E-5  SGT

As many of you guys noticed, the threads for Spyder markers have very close tolerances with the A-5 threads. In fact Spyder barrels can be screwed into the A-5. However the bolt of the A-5 protrudes through the breach into the first 2mm of the barrel(Resulting in "bolt stick".)

Being that I have both Spyder threaded markers, and an A-5, I filed down the A-5 bolt down to the o-ring grove on the bolt. Since then I've put about 700 rounds through my freak kit with Spyder threads, and see no deviation in comparison to any other markers I own that also use the freak kit. Without the o-ring, gas efficiency can be potentially reduced, but from the number of rounds and pressure left in my bottle, it is nominal at best.

Hopefully this can save us gun whores some money rather than buying new inserts/backs or barrel adapters :happy:

pics will be up soon.

-Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:04 pm 
Generals

Could you remove 2mm from the end of the barrel? Good topic btw.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm 
Lieutenants

Very innovative concept, I only wish I knew earlier as I currently own both a spyder and A5 freak back. Could have saved 50 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:05 am 
E-5  SGT

windwalker wrote:
Could you remove 2mm from the end of the barrel? Good topic btw.

It definitely could be done that way. Though the plastic bolt is much easier to work with than having to cut and rebore the lip of the breach.

-Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 am 
E-8 1SG

ive been thinking of doing this for my PCS and a starfire bolt from my 98. bet sence i bought an A5 adaptore to swap out the PCS one i may not have to sand down the bolt.

http://www.ironmikesmx.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 pm 
E-4 Corporal

Im always weary of doing any hardcore modifications to a bolt one slight over sanding on one side and there goes our bolt pretty much ruined i would be way more apt to sand down the back of the spider spider barrel, i think it would be a lot safer bet then sanding the bolt down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:44 pm 
Generals

^ that's what I was thinking too. It may be a bit more work to do it this way but I think it may just be the better way for me. I have a spyder threaded Lapco that I would like to try this and the Apex mod on.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:54 pm 
E-5  SGT

BuffaloA wrote:
Im always weary of doing any hardcore modifications to a bolt one slight over sanding on one side and there goes our bolt pretty much ruined i would be way more apt to sand down the back of the spider spider barrel, i think it would be a lot safer bet then sanding the bolt down

Yes for some of us it might be, however in my case replacing the bolt would be allot cheaper than if I was to screw up my freak back and insert :? .

-Winston Churchill